Dirty, clogged hot tub filter cartridges make spa water difficult to maintain and can put strain on your spa pump. We’ll show you how to clean them up in just a few simple steps with PowerSoak Filter Cleaner.
Even when hot tub filters look clean, they can often be coated in oils, soaps and lotions that clog and reduce water flow in your spa.
Rinsing with a garden hose every few weeks keeps larger debris at bay, but a deep clean is required at least every water change. If you use your spa frequently or have a lot of guests, you may want to deep-clean your filters monthly instead of every 3-4 months.
Why use Power Soak? This product is a heavy-duty granular filter cleaner that acts fast, cleaning your filter cartridge down to the deepest pleat. Plus it’s extra-concentrated, so you’ll get four uses per bottle.
Here’s our filter deep-clean method:
- Turn the power off to the spa and remove the filter.
- Fill a large plastic pail (we used a 5 gallon bucket) with hot or cold water and add ½ cup PowerSoak. Hot water cleans faster, but cold works, too.
- Spray the filter with a hose, preferably with a sprayer nozzle. Clean off any large debris by spraying at a 45° angle. To take things to the next level, try our Jet Stream filter cleaning tool.
- Put the filter in the soaking solution, making sure it is fully submerged. Two or more small filters can soak in the same bucket.
- Soak for an hour if you used hot water, up to overnight for cold water or very dirty filters.
- Rinse again with the hose to remove any residue from the PowerSoak.
- Replace the filter in the spa and you’re done!
If your filters are over a year old, it’s time to replace them. Deep-cleaning makes a dirty filter clean, but it can’t make an old filter new.
Make this process even easier by keeping an extra set of filters and rotating them out at each drain and refill or filter cleaning. You can set the freshly deep-cleaned filters out to dry and always have a fresh filter to install.
Have questions about cleaning your spa filter cartridge? Comment below!